Mouse over lower right corner of image and select Magnifier for best viewing experience
Ruth Steinberg is an Ottawa based photographer who works primarily in portraiture and the figure. She holds a BFA from the University of Manitoba and a diploma from the School of the Photographic Arts Ottawa (SPAO). She has exhibited in Canada and the US, in group and solo shows. She was the Artist in Residence, Short-term Projects at Enriched Bread Artists in Ottawa, ON during the fall of 2014, where she initiated the series What the Body Remembers.
“The artists that first inspired me — Walker Evans, Dorothea Lange, Mary Ellen Mark, Diane Arbus, Sebastiao Salgado — still influence me today. What I have learned from their images is to see the grace and dignity in all beings and to bring this consciousness to my own work.”
Exhibitions and Artist Talks:
– CONTINUUM: An exhibition of emerging artists selected by past winners of the Karsh Award, Karsh-Masson Gallery, September 2017, Ottawa, Canada.
– Intimate Portraits; group show, Photo Place Gallery, Middlebury Vermont, April 2017
– Pas de Deux/Tango; solo show, Atrium Gallery, Ottawa, Feb 2017
– Paysage, Darkroom Gallery, Essex Vermont, February 2017
– Portraits for Jacques Brel, Gladstone Theatre, Ottawa, Nov 2016
-Transience, on-line exhibition, L. A. Photo Curator, Los Angeles, Sept 2016
– Reveal, Darkroom Gallery, Essex Vermont, August 2015
– What the Body Remembers, Artist Talk, Studio Sixty Six, Ottawa, April 2015
– Développé, National Arts Centre, Ottawa, Sept 2014
– Exhibit #9, Red Wall Gallery, Ottawa, April 2014
– Unseen, La Petite Mort Gallery, Ottawa, March 2014
– Exhibit #8, Red Wall Gallery, Ottawa, April 2013